Why should you maintain a Kanban Board for Project Managers
A Kanban Board for Project Managers is a simple method for visualising the progress of tasks assigned to team-members
- Most projects have a roadmap (high level plan), detailed plan and many logs (risks, deliverables, responsibility accountable matrix, etc.). These documents explain what needs to be done in order for the project to be successfully completed, but not necessarily what each individual team-member in the project needs to do. Hence you need a Kanban Board.
- It is important that a project manager manages his/her tasks effectively. The WebTCards Kanban Board is loaded with features like sorting, highlighting task status and dashboards to show key highlights
- Since bringing a project to successful fruition is a complex endeavour which requires team-work and each team-member relies on their colleagues, a Kanban Board assists with splitting the tasks between them.
- A Kanban Task Card is specific, and details the basic information of each task: Its name, owner, due date, comments and status. It is possible to add more information to the Card, such as predecessors, successors, reasons for delay, etc.
- The Project Managers and Team Leaders can use the Kanban Board to track their individual team-members’ progress, and also for evaluating their quality of work and efficiency.
- Once all of the Cards on the Kanban Board are completed, the entire project should be as well.
Features of the Kanban Board for Project Managers
- Provides an indication of the task status with the task indicator.
- If task is RED then task is due today or overdue.
- If AMBER then task is due in next 3 days.
- If GREEN that means the task is due beyond next 3 days.
- The Kanban Board sorts the tasks based on due date so that the project manager can focus on tasks which based on due date and priority.
- The Kanban Board shows the number of Cards open and how many critical, high and medium
Features of the Kanban Card
- Owner; this column should have only one name, which represents who is responsible for completing this task
- Due Date; this tells the owner when they are expected to complete the task, in the form of a calendar date
- Expected finish date;this field is also in the format of a date, and allows the owner to present their estimation of when they plan to complete the task in case of a delay
- Actual finish date; for the lessons learned review
- Task description; this is the heart of the Card, and represents what needs to be done by the owner. It should clearly contain what needs to be done, so that the owner won’t need further explanations in order to complete the task at hand
- Predecessors; this field allows the Project Manager to specify which task needs to be completed in order for them to begin their task. This can be done by way of the Card automatic reference number, or by describing the task in free text.
- Status; this field is usually a drop down list, and allows the owner to update the Project Manager on how the task is progressing. The more common attributes of the list are: “Not Started”, “On Track”, “At Risk”, “Postponed”, “Done”. The list is customisable attributes can be added and changed
- Comments; allows the owner of the task to explain in free text any clarifications, help needed or updates regarding progress
Features of the Kanban Charts
- Management Dashboards shows an overview for the next 10 days. It also highlights today’s Task Cards
- A bar chart displays the total task open for various projects
How to use the Kanban Board
- Create a Kanban Board for each Project. Project names can be actual projects or work streams like live operations
- Populate the Kanban Board with the project Task Cards
- Add tasks one by one with task owner, deliverable, status, priority and due date
- As and when you complete the task drag and drop the Card to the Done column
- Every time you add a Kanban Task Card the Board sorts automatically so that you can start your focus on the tasks which are immediate priority
Visit www.WebTCards.com for more information and your FREE forever system